Take soup to a whole new level with this kale and roasted vegetables soup recipe from our Food For Health blog.
Recipe by Preston Maring, MD
I had 6 cups of homemade vegetable stock frozen (collect vegetable scraps in large freezer bags — cover 2 gallons worth with about 3 quarts of water, boil, then simmer for a hour or so. Strain then freeze the stock). I also had some kale and carrots from my local farmers market. Inspired by a recipe from simplyrecipes.com, I made a really rich, full flavored soup. Roasting, then pureeing some of the vegetables is a great wrinkle to try. Roasting the vegetables for this soup takes vegetable soup to a new level. I am looking forward to using this basic techniques again. I hope you enjoy it.
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 2 tomatoes cut into wedges (or 1 15 ounce can of no added salt tomatoes when tomatoes aren’t in season locally)
- 1 yellow onion cut into 6-8 wedges
- 6 big cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes ( I actually used eggplant as I didn’t have squash)
- 1 bunch of kale, stacked, rolled up then thinly sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained or 1 1/2 cups freshly cooked white beans
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried thyme or a palm full of fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly oil a rimmed baking pan. Arrange the carrots and squash (eggplant) on one end and the onions, garlic, and tomato on the other. Roast until everything is slightly browned — maybe 30 mins.
- Scoop the onions, tomatoes, and garlic into a blender. Puree the vegetables briefly.
- Add the stock and mix briefly. Bring the stock with blended veggies to a simmer.
- Add the kale, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook until the kale is tender — about 30 mins.
- Add the carrots, squash (eggplant), and white beans.
- Cook for about 5 more minutes. Remove the bay leaf and the thyme sprigs if you used fresh thyme.
- Season to taste and serve hot.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 271
- Fat: 4 gm
- Saturated fat: 1 gm
- Trans fat: 0 gm
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 49 gm
- Fiber: 11 gm
- Sugars: 7 gm
- Sodium: 192 mg (without added salt)
- Protein: 19 gm