By Meryl Pearlstein
New Kontiki Expeditions Will Take 18 People on a Socially Distanced Cruise along the Ecuadorian Coast Starting in December
With a world turned upside-down by Covid-19, there is a new safe, exciting option to explore by yacht beginning in December. Kontiki Expeditions will set forth on an exploration of the seldom-visited Ecuadorian coast, allowing for a rich cultural adventure and an exclusive voyage. With only nine staterooms and stops at unpopulated coastal ports, social distancing is the norm rather than the exception.
Kontiki Expeditions is a new concept in luxury ocean vacations focusing on conscious travel and immersive water and land experiences via a small luxury yacht for up to 18 people. The yacht travels two routes along the Ecuadorian coast and takes full advantage of the country’s wealth of birds, animals, flora, fauna, indigenous foods and cultural traditions while adhering to a philosophy of sustainability and giving back to communities.
Why You Should Book A Small-Yacht Kontiki Expedition
- Kontiki Expeditions offers a small-ship, luxurious experience with no fear of crowds either on-board or during water or land activities.
- Ecuador is home to 302 miles of coastline. Kontiki Expeditions drop anchor at seldom-visited ports where locals welcome visitors with a deep cultural immersion, rich gastronomy, and beautiful flora and fauna. Additionally, Kontiki visits islands and inland areas, not accessible to larger ships, where indigenous blue-footed boobies, howler monkeys, cuzumbos, silver rays and hummingbirds abound.
- The privileged group size allows for extensive interpersonal connection small local communities with hands-on experiences and observations of lifestyles, handicrafts, cuisine and traditions.
- The yacht’s small size and small passenger size ensure personalized attention, in-depth experiences and the opportunity to enhance any interest during the voyage be it water activities, wellness, land activities or education.
- Health precautions are paramount on a small yacht. With its nearly 1:1 staff to guest ratio, attention to detail is maintained at all times. Health precautions prior to boarding, on ship, and on land are strictly maintained. The Safe Travels accreditation by WTTC (World Travel & Tourism Council) has been achieved for all sailings.
- Sustainability is more important than ever given the effects of overtourism. With a small yacht expedition, protocols for environmental protection are carefully maintained and giving back to the communities visited is a priority.
- A small yacht is perfect for a multigenerational, multi-family, or private getaway. The yacht can also be booked as a charter for a private escape with bespoke activities easily arranged.
“We have the luxury of delving deeply into the areas we visit,” notes Carlos Nunez, CEO and founder of Kontiki Expeditions. “Guests, more than ever, are looking for smaller environments on board and on land, with fewer people and less exposure to risk,” he continued. “We are proud to offer our luxurious yacht and crew to create an experience that is meaningful, exciting and safe and one that will create new, shareable memories.”
The first Kontiki Expeditions yacht is scheduled to set sail in December. Introducing with two eight-day itineraries, Kontiki will transport guests to untouristed areas in Ecuador to explore and celebrate the indigenous cultures within a context of wellness. Kontiki’s luxury boutique yachts, which have only nine staterooms each, and are 128-feet long, are able to visit smaller harbors allowing for experiences in heretofore-unvisited areas.
The programs are led by 10 crew members and two local experts committed to sustainability and conscious travel. Onboard, wellness professionals, naturalist guides and a local chef add to the distinctive Kontiki experience. Guests can expect to see the country’s beloved blue-footed boobies along with sea lions and howler monkeys… without the crowds. Gastronomic experiences featuring local chocolate, seafood, and produce will be enjoyed both onboard and on land.
The yachts are a testament to luxury with a sundeck, a gourmet salon, two outdoor lounges, bar, Jacuzzi, and a gym and fitness area. Guest and crew health and safety are priorities and sanitization and wellness protocols are summarized on Kontiki’s website at https://kontikiexpeditions.com/en/health-policy/. Pricing begins at $7245 per person per week, based on double occupancy, and includes all activities, meals, transfers to and from ports, park entrance fees, guided expeditions and more. Solo traveler rate and private charter rates are also available.
ABOUT KONTIKI EXPEDITIONS – NEO-LUXURY SMALL-YACHT EXPEDITIONS FOR ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS TRAVELERS
Kontiki Expeditions are pioneers in conscious luxury travel, offering immersive and sustainable small-yacht expeditions. Sailing the untouristed Ecuadorian coast, the nine-stateroom Kontiki yachts introduce a maximum of 18 guests to the richesse of the land and sea. Multi-stop itineraries feature hiking, snorkeling, meetings with locals, in-depth cultural explorations, wellness activities and gastronomy. Kontiki travelers experience the area’s flora, fauna and animals including indigenous blue-footed boobies and howler monkeys, all in a protected environment where sustainability and uncrowded venues are paramount. Kontiki prides itself in giving back to the communities visited with resources and education.
For a sample of where Kontiki Expeditions will voyage, please see below.